- University of Chicago, PD, , 1986
- Northwestern University, Ph.D., 1986
- Northwestern Univeristy, M.S., 1985
- University of Nevada, B.A., 1982
- Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Health Policy, Management, and Leadership, School of Public Health, West Virginia University, 2011-2013
- Director, West Virgina Rural Health Research Center, West Virginia University, 2008-2013
- Grant Award: "West Virginia Rural Health Research Center", Rural Health Research Grant Program Cooperative Agreement, HRSA, PI and Director, 2008-2013. U1CRH10664-04-02
- Academic Partner, Environmental Protection Agency Toxics Release Inventory University Challenge, 2013-2014
- Nominated, WVU School of Medicine Distinguished Teacher Award, 2007
My research interests focus on health disparities for disadvantaged populations. I am especially interested in the impacts of uneven environmental exposures faced by socioeconomically disadvantaged groups. Much of this work has examined health disparities for people who live in coal mining areas of Appalachia.
Palmer MA, Bernhardt ES, Schlesinger WH, Eshleman KN, Foufoula-Georgiou E, Hendryx MS, Lemly AD, Likens GE, Loucks OL, Power ME, Wilcock PR. Consequences of mountaintop mining. Science, 2010, 327, 148-149.
Luo J, Hendryx M. Environmental carciinogen releases and lung cancer mortality in rural-urban areas of the United States. Journal of Rural Health, 2011, 27, 342-349.
Hendryx M, Conley J, Fedorko E, Luo J, Armistead M. Permitted water polution discharges and population cancer and non-cancer mortality: toxicity weights and upstream discharge effects in US rural-urban areas. International Journal of Health Geographics, 2012, 11:9doi:10.1186/1476-072X-11-9.
Hendryx M, Luo J. Cancer hospitalizations in rural-urban areas in relation to carcinogenic discharges from Toxics Release Inventory facilities. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 2013, 23, 155-169.
Knuckles T, Stapleton P, Minarchick V, McCawley M, Hendryx M, Esch L, Nurkiewicz T. Air pollution particulate matter collected from an Appalacian mountaintop mining site induces microvascular dysfunction. Microcirculation, 2013, 20, 158-159.
Hendryx M. Personal and family health in rural areas of Kentucky with and without mountaintop coal mining. Journal of Rural Health, in press.
Luo J, Hendryx M. Relationship between blood cadmium, lead, and serum thyroid measures in US adults - the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007-2010. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, in press.