Applied Health Science
809 E. 9th St., Room 106
- University of Michigan Medical Center, P.D, , 2011
- University of Michigan, Ph.D.in Health Policy & Pharmacy Administraton, 2010
- University of Michigan, M.A.in Applied Economics, 2007
- National Taiwan University, M.A.in Economics, 2004
- National Taiwan University, B.A.in Economics & Sociology, 2002
- B491: Reeading in Public Health Education
- B492: Research in Public Health Education
- H494: Research and Evaluation Methods in Health and Safety (Spring)
- P510: Organization and Administration of Public Health Programs (Spring)
- H650: Seminar in Public Health Economics (Fall)
- B702: Advanced Evaluation Research in Public Health (Fall)
- H791: Readings in Health Behavior
- H792: Research in Health Behavior
- Affliated Faculty Member, East Asian Studies Center, College of Arts and Sciences, Indiana University at Bloomington, 2012-present
- Associate Director, Tobacco, Obesity, and Behavioral Wellness (TobWell) Research Working Group, 2015-present
- Visiting Scholar, Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, National Taiwan University, 2012
- Research Fellow, Center for Medication Use, Policy and Economics, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, 2010-2011
- Research Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center, 2010-2011
- Research Assistant, Department of Clinical, Social and Administrative Sciences, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, 2009-2010
- Research Assistant, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Scholars in Health Policy Research Program, Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2006-2009
- Cochair, Health Research Symposium: Multidisciplinary Approaches for Improving Public Health, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2009
- Cochair, Workshop for Integrating and Discussing Topics in Healthcare, Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2009
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics, National Taiwan University, 2004-2005
- Research Assistant, the Taiwan Division, the Center for Energy & Environmental Research, and the Center for Economic Forecasting, Chung-Hua Institute for Economic Research, Taiwan, 2001-2003
Dr. Lin has a strong interest in health services research and pharmacoepidemiological research on outcomes of therapeutics. His research generally focuses on application of quantitative methodology in examining issues related to patient health care utilization, physician decision making, patient health and economic outcomes, and effectiveness of medical care delivery (in particular, pharmaceuticals) in diseases. In particular, he has a strong disease-specific research interest in outcomes evaluation in chronic diseases (in particular, depression, psoriasis, acne, and glaucoma), and study of economic outcomes (such as health care expenditures and labor market participation) related to medication use, and how health/public health policies should be reconsidered based on such outcomes. Recently Dr. Lin is interested in studies in prescription and utilization of preventive health services and medications (for example, smoking cessation medications), and substance abuse (in particular, prescription drug misuse, tobacco use, and marijuana use).
- Trustees Teaching Award, School of Public Health, Indiana University, 2014
- Finalist, Judy K Black Early Career Award, American Academy of Health Behavior, 2014
- Finalist, Best Poster Research Presentation Award, International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 5th Asian-Pacific Conference, 2012
- Finalist, Best Poster Research Presentation Award, International Society of Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR) 4th Asian-Pacific Conference, 2010
- The Best Poster Presentation Award, Midwest Social and Administrative Pharmacy Conference, 2010
- The Best Master Thesis Award, Taiwan Economic Association, 2004
- Honorary Member, The Phi-Tau-Phi Scholastic Honor Society of Taiwan, 2004
Arterberry BJ, Horbal SR, Buu A, Lin HC. The Effects of Alcohol, Cannabis, and Cigarette Use on the Initiation, Reinitiation and Persistence of Non-Medical Use of Opioids, Sedatives, and Tranquilizers. 2015. (Drug and Alcohol Dependence—In Press)
Park JY, Lin HC, Seo DC. The Potential Role of E-cigarette Use in Intention to Smoke or Quit Smoking: Evidence from U.S. Youth. 2015. (American Journal of Public Health—In Press)
Lin HC, Jester JM, Buu A. The Effects of Cigarette And Alcohol Use on the Onset, Recurrence, and Persistence of Cannabis Use. 2015. (Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs—In Press)
Lin HC, Lee HY. Utilization and Adherence of Oral Contraceptive Pills and Associated Disparities in the United States: A Baseline Assessment for the Impact of the Affordable Care Act of 2010. 2015. The International Journal of Health Services. 2015; 45(4): 729-742.
Lin HC, Stein JD, Nan B, Talwar N, Childers D, Newman-Casey PA, Thompson DA, Richards JE. Targeting Aging: Geroprotective Drug Metformin Is Associated with Reduced Risk of Open-Angle Glaucoma in Persons with Diabetes. JAMA Ophthalmology. 2015; 133(8): 915-923.
Lin HC, J Park, DC Seo. Impact of Comprehensive Statewide Smoke-Free Indoor Air Legislation on Secondhand Smoke Exposure and Asthma Prevalence and Related Visits to Doctors, USA, 2007-2011. 2015. (American Journal of Public Health. 2015; 105(8): 1617-1622.
Lee CG, Seo DC, Middlestadt SE, Lin HC. Does The Relationship between Cigarette Smoking and Other Key Health Behaviors Vary by Geographic Area Among U.S. Young Adults? A Multi-Level Analysis. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2015; 22(4): 481-488.
Davis SA, Lin HC, Balkrishnan R, Feldman SR. Hidradenitis Suppurativa Management in the United States: An Analysis of the National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey and MarketScan Medicaid Databases. Skin Appendage Disorders. 2015; 1: 65-73.
Yu CY, Lin HC. Transit-Related Walking to Work in Promoting Physical Activity. Journal of Physical Activity & Health. 2015; 12(4): 483-489.
Lin HC, Hunnicutt JN, Moustafa FA, Rohr AL, Huang KE, Balkrishnan R, Feldman SR. Pharmacological Treatments in Pregnant Women with Psoriasis in the United States. British Journal of Dermatology. 2015; 172(3): 807-810.
Mayo-Gamble T, Lin HC. Healthcare Utilization and Diabetes Management Programs: Indiana 2006-2010. American Journal of Managed Care. 2014; 20(10): e461-e468.
Luo J, Lin HC, He K, Hendryx MS. Diabetes and Prognosis in Older Persons with Colorectal Cancer. British Journal of Cancer. 2014; 110: 1847-1854.
Davis SA, Lin HC, Yu CH, Balkrishnan R, Feldman SR. Underuse of Early Follow-Up Visits: A Missed Opportunity to Improve Patients’ Adherence. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2014; 13(7): 833-836.
Al-Dabagh A, Al-Dabagh R, Davis SA, Taheri A, Lin HC, Balkrishnan R, Feldman SR. Systemic Corticosteroids Are Frequently Prescribed for Psoriasis. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 2014; 18: 1-5.
Kokkonen EWJ, Lin HC, Davis SA, Feldman SR, Fleischer AB. Electronic Prescription Use by Specialty. 2013. The American Journal of Pharmacy Benefits. 2013; 5(6): e151-e158.
Lin HC, Alamdari HS, Huang KE, Gustafson CJ, Davis SA, Balkrishnan R, Feldman SR. Prevalence of Psoriasis and Rosacea Comorbidities in the Outpatient Setting. Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery. 2013; 17(5): 295-298.
Kokkonen EWJ, Davis SA, Lin HC, Dabade TS, Feldman SR, Fleischer AB. Use of Electronic Medical Records Differs by Specialty and Office Settings. Journal of American Medical Informatics Association. 2013; 20(E1): E33-E38.
Tan X, Al-Dabagh A, Davis SA, Lin HC, Balkrishnan R, Chang JW, Feldman SR. Medication Adherence, Healthcare Costs and Utilization Associated with Acne Drugs in the Medicaid Enrollees with Acne Vulgaris. American Journal of Clinical Dermatology. 2013; 14(3): 243-251.
Lin HC, Wong SW, Chang SY. The Development of Translational Research in Taiwan (in Chinese). Taiwan Journal of East Asian Studies. 2013; 10(1): 347-359.
Shtein RM, Raoof-Daneshvar D, Lin HC, Sugar A, Mian SI, Nan B, Stein JD. Author Reply to Letter to the Editor. Ophthalmology. 2013; 120(3): 650-651.
Shtein RM, Raoof-Daneshvar D, Lin HC, Sugar A, Mian SI, Nan B, Stein JD. Keratoplasty for Corneal Endothelial Disease, 2001-2009. Ophthalmology. 2012; 119(7): 1303-1310.
Chang JW, Patel I, Suh WS, Lin HC, Kim SJ, Balkrishnan R. Does State’s Budget Cut Pressure Matter for Uncompensated Care Spending in Hospitals? Findings from Texas and California. International Journal of Health Planning and Management. 2012; 27: 88-103.
Lin HC, Balkrishnan R, Lucas PT, Feldman SR. Medication Choice and Associated Health Care Outcomes and Costs for Patients with Psoriasis in the United States. Journal of Dermatological Treatment. 2012; 23: 196-202.
Lin HC, Erickson SR, Balkrishnan R. Physician Prescribing Patterns of Innovative Antidepressants in the United States: The Case of MDD Patients 1993-2007. The International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine. 2011; 42(4): 353-368.
Lin HC, Erickson SR, Balkrishnan R. Antidepressant Utilization, Adherence and Health Care Spending in the United States: The Case of MDD Patients 2000-2007. Health Outcomes Research in Medicine. 2011; 2(2): e79-e89.
Patel P, Lin HC, Feldman SR, Fleischer AB, Nahata M, Balkrishnan R. Medication Choice and Associated Health Care Outcomes and Costs for Patients with Acne in the United States. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2011; 10(7): 766-771.