Applied Health Science
Rural Center for AIDS/STD Prevention
(812) 855-0585 TWITTER: @Beth_Meyerson
- Saint Louis University, Ph.D., 2002
- Christian Theological Seminary, MDiv, 1992
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1988
- Public Health Policy and Politics
- Organization and Administration of Public Health Programs (online)
- Foundations of Public Health
- Acquiring and Managing External Funds for Health and Human Services
- Culminating Experience
- Message for Prospective MPH and doctoral students
- National Board of Directors – Lambda Legal
- President/CEO, Policy Resource Group, LLC - 1998-2011
- Co-Chair, Panel on Prevention Programs, Capacity Building and Program Evaluation and member of the Steering Committee for the External Peer Review of the Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention Surveillance, Research, and HIV Prevention Programs. Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - 2009
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on Ryan White: Data for Resource Allocation, Planning and Evaluation - 2002-2003
- Board of Directors - American Social Health Association - 2002-2008
- Chief, Bureau of STD/HIV Prevention, State of Missouri - 1994-1998
- Research Interests
- Dr. Meyerson's research interests include the structural barriers to health or disease prevention, health policy capacities in communities and among health professionals, and social constructions of and by health policy target populations. Her current focus is the expansion of a phenomenological study in Indiana about the experience of HIV testing. Dr. Meyerson has worked in Kenya, Nigeria, Botswana, India, Russia and throughout the Caribbean.
Dr. Meyerson has been involved with public health policy and systems for the past 20 years. Her systems research includes the identification of need and opportunities for system expansion of access to sexual health services. This has included the study of alternative screening venues for cervical cancer (STD clinics) and HIV testing (pharmacy practice expansion and community health centers). Her policy research focuses on policy behaviors and their measurement, particularly by public institutions. Examples of this work include studies of state STD investment, local public health accreditation, and reported policy behaviors of state STD programs and local health departments. Dr. Meyerson has worked throughout the United States, in sub-Saharan Africa, in India and the Caribbean.
- Cervical cancer screening in STD Clinics
- Evidence-based policy communication for cervical cancer and HPV
- Implementation of syringe access policy in Indiana
- Institutional Analysis of Public Health Systems, Southern Indiana
- Local public health accreditation
- State use of public health policy tools for cancer prevention
- Pharmacies as means of extending access to HIV testing
- Center for HPV Research, IUPUI
- The Kinsey Institute, Affiliate Faculty
- IU Simon Cancer Center, Cancer Prevention and Control Program
- Department of Gender Studies, Affiliate Faculty
- African Studies Program
Books and Chapters
Crosby RA. & Meyerson BE. STI counseling and condom use instruction: Opportunities for STI clinics. In J. Zenilman and M. Shahmanesh (Eds.) Sexually Transmitted Infections and Reproductive Health -- A Guide for Clinicians. Elsevier Publishing, 2011.
Meyerson BE, Martich FA, Naehr GP. Ready to Go: The History and Contributions of U.S. Public Health Advisors. Research Triangle Park: American Social Health Association, 2008.
Davis A, Best J, Luo J, Van Der Pol B, Dodge B, Meyerson BE, Aalsma M, Wei C, Tucker J, Social Entrepreneurship for Sexual Health Research Group. Risk behaviors, HIV/STI testing, and HIV/STI prevalence between men who have sex with men and men who have sex with both men and women in China. International Journal of STD & AIDS (In press).
Davis A, Best J, Chongi W, Luo J, Van Der Pol B, Meyerson BE, Dodge B, Aalsma M, Tucker J, and the Social Entrepreneurship for Sexual Health Research Group. Intimate Partner Violence and Correlates with Risk Behaviors and HIV/STI Diagnoses Among Men Who Have Sex with Men and Men Who Have Sex with Men and Women in China: A Hidden Epidemic. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2015; 42(7):387-392.
Meyerson BE, Zimet GD, Multani GS, Levell C, Lawrence CA, Smith JS. Increasing Efforts to Reduce Cervical Cancer Through State-Level Comprehensive Cancer Control Planning. Cancer Prevention Research 2015; 8(7):636-641.
Meyerson BE, Sayegh MA. State Size and Government Level Matter Most: A Structural Equation Model of Local Health Department Policy Behaviors. J Public Health Management Practice (in press)
Meyerson BE, Barnes PR, King J, Halverson P, Degi L, Polmanski HF. Measuring Accreditation Activity and Progress: Findings from a survey of Indiana local health departments. Public Health Reports 2015; 130(5):447-452.
Meyerson BE, Sayegh MA, Davis A, Arno J, Zimet GD, LeMonte A, Williams J, Barclay L, Van der Pol B. Cervical Cancer Screening in an STD Clinic: Adoption experiences from a Midwestern Clinic. Am J Public Health 2015; 105 (S2): e8-e14.
Navale SM, Meyerson BE, Gillespie A, Ohmit A. Are community health centers offering standard of care STD services? Sexually Transmitted Disease 2014: 41(11): 684-689.
Meyerson BE, Navale SM, Gillespie A, Ohmit A. Do Midwestern Community Health Centers Offer Routine HIV Testing? Experience from Indiana. American Journal of Public Health (in press).
Meyerson BE, Lawrence CA, Smith JS. Attend to the "small p" stuff: State policy issues affecting cervical cancer efforts. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2014; 4(8): 455-461.
Meyerson BE, Emetu RE, Sanders S, Bailey MM, Ryder PT, Armstrong JA. Preferences of Gay and Bisexual Men for Pharmacy Based HIV Testing and Over-the-counter Tests. LGBT Health 2014; 1(3): 225-228.
Meyerson BE, Barnes PR, Emetu RE, Bailey MM, Ohmit A, Gillespie A. Institutional and structural barriers to HIV testing: Elements for a theoretical framework. AIDS Patient Care & STDs. 2014; 28(1): 22-27. doi:10.1089/apc.2013.0238
Meyerson BE, Ryder PT, Von Hippel CD, Coy KC. We can do more than just sell the test: Pharmacist perspectives about over the counter rapid HIV tests. AIDS and Behavior 2013; (February Online First; in press for print journal) DOI: 10.1007/s10461-013-0427-y
Meyerson BE, Ryder P, Smith C. Achieving Pharmacy Based Public Health: A Call for Public Health Engagement. Public Health Reports 2013; 128(3) May/June.
Meyerson BE, Lawrence CA, Smith JS. Attend to the "small p" stuff: State policy issues affecting cervical cancer efforts. Cancer Causes and Control 2013; Spr/Sum.
Meyerson BE, Crosby RA, Zimet GM, Van der Pol B. "Thinking Differently About Cervical Cancer Screening in High Risk Populations," American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2012; 43(2): 221-224.
Meyerson BE, Gilbert LK. "Show Me the Money: State Investment in STD Prevention, 2007". Journal of Public Health Management Practice, 16(3) (2010) 232-239.
Crosby RA, Head S, DiClemente RJ, Meyerson BE, Troutman A. "Do Protective Behaviors Follow the Experience of Being Tested for HSV-2?" Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 35(9) (2008) 787-790.
Perkins D, Meyerson BE, Klinkenberg WD, Laffoon BT. "Assessing HIV Care and Unmet Need: Eight Databases and a Bit of Perserverence." AIDS Care, 20(3) (2008). 318-326.
Meyerson BE, Klinkenberg WD, Perkins D, Laffoon BT. "Who's In and Who's Out: Use of Primary Medical Care Among People Living with HIV." American Journal of Public Health 2007; 97:744-749.
Meyerson BE, West-Mendoza R, Bhat D. "U.S.-Caribbean Twin to enhance AIDS Public Health Infrastructure." AIDS Link, 92 2005; 1 August.
Meyerson BE. "Program and Policy Coordination: A Shared Challenge with Miles Yet to Go." Public Health Reports, 119 2004; (1) Jan/Feb: 2-3.
Meyerson BE, Chu BC, Mills MV. "State Agency Policy and Program Coordination in Response to the Co-Occurrence of HIV, Chemical Dependency, and Mental Illness." Public Health Reports, 118 2003; (5) Sept/Oct: 408-414.
Meyerson BE, Chu BC, Raphael TL. "STD Program Activity in State Policy Processes, 1995 and 2000." Sexually Transmitted Diseeases 2003; 18(8):614-619.
Crosby RA, Yarber WL, DiClemente RJ, Wingood GM, Meyerson BE. "HIV associated histories, perceptions, and practices among low income African American women: Does rural residence matter?" American Journal of Public Health 2002; 92:655-659.
Crosby RA, Yarber WL & Meyerson BE. "Prevention strategies other than male condoms employed by low-income women to prevent HIV infection." Public Health Nursing 1999; 17(1):53-60.
Crosby RA, Yarber WL & Meyerson BE."Frequency and predictors of condom use and reasons for not using condoms among low-income women." Journal of Sex Education and Therapy 1999; 24(1&2):63-70.
Crosby RA, Yarber WL & Meyerson BE. "Perceived monogamy and type of clinic as barrers to seeking care for suspected STD or HIV infection: Results from a brief survey of low-income women attending women, infants, and children (WIC) clinics in Missouri." Sexually Transmitted Diseases. 1999; August:399-403.