Rasul A. Mowatt
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., 1995
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, M.S., 2002
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Ph.D., 2006
- R160/R110: Foundations of Leisure in Modern Society
- L225: The Historical Significance of Race
- R282: Leadership Strategies & Diversity Applications
- R310/R302: Leadership Strategies & Diversity Applications
- R340: Leisure, Health & The Human Experience
- R354: An Exploration of Violence in Sports & Modern Society (Intensive Freshman Seminar)
- R500/R510: Philosophy of Leisure and Recreation
- R703/R712: Inquiry Methodology in Leisure Behavior
- Community Program Manager, Champaign Park District, Champaign, IL
- President, Champaign-Urbana Sunrise Club of Rotary International
- Chair, Human Relations Commission of the City of Champaign
- State Coordinator, Illinois, Voter Empowerment Program of the NAACP
- Interim Program Director, American Friends Service Committee, Chicago, IL
Main research areas of interest: leisure behavior, social justice, cultural studies, and critical pedagogy.
Sub-research areas: racial identity, social inequity (diversity education), leadership (transformational leadership theory) & management best practices (team management & team-based learning), violence and deviancy, governmentality and policy analysis, participatory research, critical historical analysis, media and narrative analysis, use of visual materials and visual methodology, community development (service-learning), and active learning.
Awards & Recognitions
- 2013. Faculty Colloquium on Excellence in Teaching (FACET) Award. Indiana University.
- 2013. Commission of Multicultural Understanding Faculty Member Award. Indiana University.
- 2012. Trustees Teaching Award, School of Public Health-Bloomington Annual Teaching Excellence Award. Indiana University.
- 2012. The Beth Wood Distinguished Service-Learning Faculty Award. Indiana University.
- 2010. Trustees Teaching Award, School of Health Physical Education & Recreation Annual Teaching Excellence Award. Indiana University
- 2009. Trustees Teaching Award, School of Health Physical Education & Recreation Annual Teaching Excellence Award. Indiana University.
- 2009. Student Choice Award, Indiana University Student Foundation Award, Indiana University.
- 2009. Faculty Fellowship, Office of Service Learning Faculty Fellows Program. Indiana University.
- 2008. Trustees Teaching Award, School of Health Physical Education & Recreation Annual Teaching Excellence Award. Indiana Univeristy.
Mowatt, R. (2009). A history of leisure, a history of violence: Our violent society, a national and global historical perspective. In L. Jamieson & T. Orr (Eds.) Sport and violence: A critical examination of sport and violence in the world (pp. 27-47). New York: Elsevier.
Mowatt, R. (2007). The King of the damned: Reading lynching as leisure: The analysis of lynching photography for examples of violent forms of leisure. In McCarthy, C. Durham, A., Engel, L., Filmer, A.A., Giardina, M.D., Logue, J. and Malagreca, M. (Eds.), Globalizing culture studies: Ethnographic interventions in theory, method & policy. New York, NY: Peter Lang Publishing. This chapter was first published and accepted in Policy Futures in Education.
Duffy, L.N., Mowatt, R.A., Chancellor, H.C., & Cardenas, D.A. (2013). Machismo-Marianismo and the Involvement of Women in a Community-Based Tourism Project in Ecuador, South America. Tourism Analysis: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 17(6), 791-803. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3727/108354212X13531051127384
Mowatt, R.A. (2012). Lynching as leisure: Broadening notions of a field. American Behavioral Scientist, 56(10), 1361-1387.
Mowatt, R.A. (2012). Book review. Places of imagination: Media, tourism, culture by Stijn Reijnders. Leisure/Losir.
Sturts, J.R., & Mowatt, R.A. (2012). Understanding and overcoming "bottlenecks" in student learning. Schole: A Journal of Leisure Studies & Recreation Education, 27(1), 39-45.
Mowatt, R.A. & Bennett, J. (2011). War narratives: War Stores, PTSD effects, and therapeutic fly-fishing. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 45(4), 286-308.
Mosely, M. & Mowatt, R.A. (2011). Reconceptualizing and repositioning festival vendors within tourism research. International Journal of Event and Festival Management, 2(3), 1-28. Retreived from CLICK HERE or the URL is http://www.emeraldinsight.com.ezproxy.lib.indiana.edu/journals.htm?issn=1758-2954&volume=2&issue=3
Mowatt, R.A. & Chancellor, H.C. (2011). Visiting death & life: tourism, slavery & slave forts. Annals of Tourism Research, 38(4), 1-25.
Mowatt, R. A. (2010). Team-based learning: An approach to teaching leisure service management & leadership. Schole: A Journal Of Leisure Studies & Recreation Education, 25, 54-68.
Mowatt, R. A. (2010). To begin with the end: Backwards design in leisure studies. Schole: A Journal Of Leisure Studies & Recreation Education, 25, 141-145.
Mowatt, R.A. (2009). Notes from a native son: Expanding an understanding of Whiteness in leisure. Journal of Leisure Research, 41(4), 509-526.
Mowatt, R. (2008) The king of the damned: Reading lynching as leisure. Policy Futures in Education, 7(2), 185-199.
McCarthy, C., Durham, A., Elavsky, C.M., Filmer, A., Giardina, M., Harewood, S., Kim, S., Logue, J., Malagraca, M., & Mowatt, R. (2008). Contesting identities, contesting nations. Policy Futures in Education, 7(2), 138-144.
Shinew, K., Mowatt, R., & Glover, T. (2007) An African American community recreation center: Participants and volunteers perceptions of racism and racial identity. Journal of Parks and Recreation Administration, 25(2), 84-106.
Mowatt, R.A., & Wolter, S.A. (2010, May). Research Report: Systematic Review of Literature Regarding Continuous Improvement and Strategic Planning. Developed on behalf of the Center for Park Management, National Parks Conservation Association, 46pp. Bloomington, IN: Eppley Institute for Parks and Public Lands, Indiana University.
Franzidis, A., & Mowatt, R.A. (2013, June). Tourism development in less economically developed countries. Upcoming presentation at the International Critical Tourism Studies Conference V. Guildford, UK: University of Surrey.
Mowatt, R.A., & Fuchs, M. (2013, April). Making diversity tangible: Benefits of service-learning site, Pages to Prisoners, in the study of Race. Upcoming presentation at the Center for Innovative Teaching & Learning Poster Symposium. Indiana University.
Onesti, N.S., Mowatt, R.A., Colon, C.L. & Center for Innovative Teaching & Learning (2012, September). Leveraging classroom technology in large courses: The results from a faculty learning community. Presentation at the 2012 Statewide IT Conference. Indiana University and Purdue University - Indianapolis.
Mowatt, R.A., Johnson, C.W., Roberts, N.S., & Kivel, D. (2012, May). Embarrassingly White: Changing the "color" of higher education in parks, recreation, and leisure studies. Proceedings from the 1st Annual Social Justice in Leisure Studies Conference. Salt Lake City, UT: The University of Utah.
Duffy, L., & Mowatt, R.A. (October, 2011). Service-Learning and Community-Based Research in Leisure and Tourism Planning: International and Domestic Mechanisms for Social Change. 2011 Annual Conference Proceedings (pp. 140-141). International Association for Research on Service-Learning and Community Engagement. Chicago, IL: University of Illinois Chicago.
Mowatt, R.A., & Floyd, M.F. (2011, May). The white tapestry on the wall: Re-conceptualizing the foundations of leisure research from a colored perspective. Proceedings from the 13th Canadian Congress on Leisure Research (pp. 264-271). Canadian Congress on Leisure Research, Ontario, CA: Brock University.
Mowatt, R.A. (2010, November). School Violence: Impact on Education and Quality of Life. Florida International University, College of Education.
Mowatt, R.A. (2010, February). The big picture, a call to action: Examining the role of young minorities. Office of Multicultural Affairs. North Manchester, IN: Manchester College.
Mowatt, R.A. (2009, November). The Gap: Examining the Quality of Life Populations of Color in the Backdrop to a Phenomenon. Men of Color/Women of Color Conference & Leadership Institute. Bloomington, IN: Indiana University.
Mowatt, R.A. (2009, May). Lynching as leisure: Impact on identity and sense of place. Ontario, CA: Ontario Research Council on Leisure Symposium.
Mowatt, R., Lovett, M. K. & Travis, J. (2008, July). Tourism instigated gentrification. Presentation at ATLAS Annual Conference 2008, Eastbourne, UK.
Mowatt, R. (2008, April). The visual analysis of lynching photography: Imprints on community health and human behavior. Presentation at the Center for Study of Health Disparities, Texas A & M.
Shinew, K.J., Stodolska, M. & Mowatt, R. (2007, October). Increasing our understanding of African Americans' and Latinos' use of urban parks. Presentation. National Recreation and Park Association Conference. Leisure Research Symposium.
Mowatt, R. & Lovett, M. Leadership in the everyman: A critical look at the redevelopment after Katrina (February, 2007. Presentation. Official Black History Month Calendar of Events. Indiana University.