Counsilman Center for the Science of Swimming
- Indiana University, Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy, 1980
- University of Miami, B.S., Bachelor of Science, 0
- Associate Chair, IU Department of Kinesiology, 2006-present
- Director of the Human Performance Laboratory, IU Department of Kinesiology, 1992-2002
- Chair, Tenure Advisory Committee, Indiana University, 2004-2005, 2005-2006
- Underwater Analysis of Competitive Swimming Racing Starts, 2004- present
- Assessing Muscle Mass in Aging Competitive Athletes, 2005-present
- Accelerometry as a Means of Estimating Training Load in Competitive Swimmers, 2004-present
Human stress physiology, the cardiopulmonary responses of the human to exercise and the environment (altitude, heat, cold); factors affecting oxygen transport during exercise and athletic performance; relationship between physical training and human development and aging; the physiology of competitive swimming.
Stager/Tanner. (2005). Handbook on Sports Medicine and Science: Swimming. London: Blackwell Scientific.
*Gavin, T. P., Babington, J. P., Harms, C. A., Ardelt, M. E., Tanner, D. A., & Stager, J. M. (2002, January). Thermoregulatory response to exercise in moderate heat is unaffected by clothing fabric, Med. Sci. Sports Exer.
Drew, John M., Stager, J. M., & Jamieson, Lynn. (2002). Implications of starting end water depth rule change for high school competitive swimming. American Swim Coach Association Newsletter, 8, 4, 6-10, & 14-17.
Karp, Jason R., Johnston, Jeanne D., Tecklenburg, Sandy, Mickleborough,Tim, Fly, Alyce, & Stager, Joel M. (2006). The efficacy of chocolate milk as a recovery aid. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Metabolism.