Susan E. Middlestadt
Director of Graduate Studies and Associate Professor
Applied Health Science Department
- Ph.D. at University of California, Berkeley, 1979
- A.B. at Bucknell University, 1972
- Senior Vice President, Center for Applied Behavioral and Evaluation Research, AED Social Change Group
- Former Vice President and Director, Behavioral and Evaluation Research, Social Development Programs
- Former Research Director, AIDS Public Health Communication Project (AIDSCOM)
- Principal Investigator on Tobacco Documents Research Grant (NCI, R01 CA098342-01, 2003-2007, $1,451,129)
- Officer-in-Charge and Senior Technical Advisor on subcontract under REACH grant to the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians (CDC through EBCI, 2001-2003 and 2003-2005, $192,887 and $237,877)
- Officer-in-Charge and Senior Technical Advisor on Evaluation School Health Technical Assistance Contract (CDC's Division of Adolescent and School Health; three contracts: 200-93-0640 from 1993 to 1996 for $4,500,000; 200-96-0517 from 1996 to 2001 for $6,300,000; 200-2001-00110 from 2001 to 2006 for $3,719,916)
- Principal Investigator on Sexual Health Intervention Research Cooperative Agreement (CDC and NIMH, R30/CCR313567-04, 1998-2002, $1,624,047)
Theory and decision-based research to design and evaluate communication and behavior change programs in health; psychosocial and behavioral issues underlying a range of health behaviors, including HIV/STD and pregnancy prevention, immunization, school health, health care seeking, physical activity, nutrition, and tobacco.
Fishbein, M., Triandis, H. C., Kanfer, F. H., Becker, M., Middlestadt, S. E. & Eichler, A. (2001). Factors influencing behavior and behavior change. In Baum, Revenson, & Singer (Eds.), Handbook of Health Psychology (pp. 1-7). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Goldberg, M., Fishbein, M., & Middlestadt, S. E. (Eds.). (1997). Social marketing: Theoretical and practical perspectives. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Middlestadt, S. E., Schechter, C., Peyton, J., & Tjugum, B. (1997). Community involvement in health planning: Lessons learned from practicing social marketing in a context of community control, participation and ownership. In M. Goldberg, M. Fishbein, & S. E. Middlestadt (Eds.), Social Marketing: Theoretical and Practical Perspectives. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
Gift, Thomas L., Malotte, C. Kevin, Ledsky, Rebecca, Hogben, Matthew, Middlestadt, Susan, Vandevanter, Nancy L., & St. Lawrence, Janet S. (2005, September). A cost-effectiveness analysis of interventions to increase repeat testing in patients treated for gonorrhea or chlamydia at public sexually transmitted disease clinics. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 32(9), 542-549.
Hogben, Matthew, Ledsky, Rebecca, Middlestadt, Susan, Vandevanter, Nancy, Messeri, Peter, Merzel, Cheryl, Bleakley, Amy, Malotte, C. Kevin, Sionean, C. Kristina, & St. Lawrence, Janet (2005, February). Psychological mediating factors in an intervention to promote adolescent health care-seeking. Psychology, Health & Medicine, 10(1), 64-77.
VanDevanter, Nancy L., Messeri, Peter, Middlestadt, Susan E., Bleakley, Amy, Merzel, Cheryl R., Hogben, Matthew, Ledsky, Rebecca, Malotte, C. Kevin, Cohall, Renee M., Gift, Thomas L., & St. Lawrence, Janet S. (2005, February). A community-based intervention designed to increase preventive health care seeking among adolescents: The gonorrhea community action project. American Journal of Public Health, 95(2), 331-338.
Malotte, C. Kevin, Ledsky, Rebecca, Hogben, Matthew, Larro, Michelle, Middlestadt, Susan, St. Lawrence, Janet S., Olthoff, Glen, Settlage, Robert H., & Van Devanter, Nancy L. (2004, November). Comparison of methods to increase repeat testing in persons treated for gonorrhea and/or chlamydia at public sexually transmitted disease clinics. Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 31(11), 637-642.
Reger, Bill, Cooper, Linda, Booth-Butterfield, Steven, Smith, Holli, Bauman, Adrian, Wootan, Margo, Middlestadt, Susan, Marcus, Bess, & Greer, Felicia (2002, September). Wheeling walks: A community campaign using paid media to encourage walking among sedentary older adults. Preventive Medicine, 35(3), 285.
Middlestadt, Susan, Grieser, Mona, Hernandez, Orlando, Tubaishat, Khulood, Sanchack, Julie, Southwell, Brian, & Schwartz, Reva (2001, Winter). Turning minds on and faucets off: Water conservation education in Jordanian schools. Journal of Environmental Education, 32(2), 37.
Courses Recently Taught
HPER C589 Models and Theories of Health Behavior
HPER C640 Research in Public Health