Michael S. Willett
Director, Presidentís Challenge Program and AAU Fitness Projects
School of Public Health-Bloomington
- Ed.D. at Indiana University, 2008
- M.S. at Indiana University, 1988
- B.S. at Indiana University, 1985
- Director, The President's Challenge Physical Activity and Fitness Awards Program (A program of the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports). Annual contract with the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) to Indiana University School of HPER, Department of Kinesiology. Annual contracts 1988 - 2008: approximately 1 million dollars annually. Over 20 million dollars to date.
- Director, AAU Fitness Projects
- Associate Chair for Budget and Planning, Department of Kinesiology
- Competitive world ranked powerlifter with over 25 current Indiana State records. Volunteer time to provide sport specific strength training to young athletes as well as provide demonstrations in powerlifting and Olympic style weightlifting within the Bloomington and IU communities.
1988-2008. The President's Challenge Physical Activity and Fitness Awards Program Brochure.
1986-1995. The AAU Physical Fitness Program Testing Brochure.
Crowley, K., Updyke, W., and Willett, M. Fifteen year trends in arm shoulder girdle strength and endurance in a large population of 6-14-year-old boys: 1980-1994. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sports. 61 (1) 35-36. 1997.
Updyke, W., Crowley, K., and Willett, M. Fifteen year trends in abdominal strength and endurance in a large population of 6-14 year-old boys and girls: 1980-1994. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. (61) 1 29-30. 1997.
Updyke, W., Crowley, K., and Willett, M. Fifteen year trends in body mass index in a large population of American children: 1980-1994. Science and Medicine in Exercise and Sport. 21 (3) Supplement. (In press). 1997.
"2006 Annual report on the President's Challenge Physical Activity and Fitness Awards Program" Presentation to the Board of Directors at the Amateur Athletic Union National Convention, October 24, 2006.
"Fitness for All in the United States of America" Lecture series in China (Beijing Sport University, Chengdu Institute for Physical Education, and Shanghai Institute for Physical Education) representing Indiana University, School of HPER, May, 2004.
"The President's Challenge Physical Activity and Awards Program: Youth Fitness Testing" (Co-authored with B. Hale, J. McClaine), IAAHPERD Convention, IUPUI, Indianapolis, Indiana, November, 2001.
Press Conference, Washington, DC, September, 1989 Ten Year Report Summary: Physical Fitness Trends In American Youth, 1980-1989.