Marieke Van Puymbroeck
Associate Professor and Therapeutic Recreation Option Coordinator
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies Department
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Individualized Major Program
College of Arts and Sciences
- Ph.D. at University of Florida, 2004
- M.S. at University of Florida, 2001
- B.S. at Longwood College, 1994
- President elect, Recreation Therapists of Indiana 2009-2010
- President, Recreation Therapists of Indiana 2010-2011
- Program Chair, 2011 American Therapeutic Recreation Association national conference
- Chair of Research Team, American Therapeutic Recreation Association 2007-2009
- Chair of World Health Organization Subteam, American Therapeutic Recreation Association
My research interests focus on improving the quality of life and functional skills for informal caregivers and individuals with chronic disease through the development and testing of physical and alternative therapy interventions.
Bodde, A.E., Seo, D-C., Frey, G.C., Lohrmann, D., & Van Puymbroeck, M. (in press). Development of a physical activity program for individuals with intellectual disability. Health Promotion Practice.
Austin, D.R., McCormick, B.M., & Van Puymbroeck, M. (in press). Positive psychology: A theoretical foundation for recreation therapy practice. American Journal of Recreation Therapy.
Van Puymbroeck, M., Austin, D., & McCormick, B.P. (in press). Beyond curriculum reform: Therapeutic recreation's hidden curriculum. Therapeutic Recreation Journal (Special Issue on Curriculum).
Gassman, R., Agley, J., Johnston, J.D., Middlestadt, S., Van Puymbroeck, M., & YoussefAgha, A. (in press). Catalyzing trans-disciplinary studies in public health: A college health survey and data platform. Health Promotion Practice.
Schmid, A.A., Van Puymbroeck, M., Howard, K., Knies, K., Spangler-Morris, C., Watts, K., Damush, T., Williams, L.S. (in press). Fear of falling among subjects who have sustained a stroke: A six month longitudinal pilot study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy.
Van Puymbroeck, M., & Hsieh, P. C. (2010). Influence of mindfulness based stress reduction and walking on the psychological well-being for informal caregivers: A pilot study. American Journal of Recreation Therapy, 9(1), 15-25.
Schmid, A., Van Puymbroeck, M., & Koceja, D. (2010). Effect of a 12-week yoga intervention on the fear of falling and balance in older adults--A pilot study. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 91, 576-583.
Courses Recently Taught
• R562: Social Psychology of Therapeutic Recreation
• R563: Program Development and Consultation in Therapeutic Recreation
• R704 Doctoral Seminar in Leisure Behavior