Applied Health Science Department
- PD at University of Michigan Medical Center, 2011
- Ph.D. in Health Policy & Pharmacy Administraton at University of Michigan, 2010
- M.A. in Applied Economics at University of Michigan, 2007
- M.A. in Economics at National Taiwan University, 2004
- B.A. in Economics & Sociology at National Taiwan University, 2002
- Affliated Member, East Asian Studies Center, College of Arts and Sciences, Indiana University at Bloomington, 2012-present.
- Visiting Scholar, Institute for Advanced Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, National Taiwan University, 2012.
- Research Fellow, Center for Medication Use, Policy and Economics, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, 2010-2011
- Research Fellow, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, University of Michigan Kellogg Eye Center, 2010-2011
- Research Assistant, Department of Clinical, Social and Administrative Sciences, University of Michigan College of Pharmacy, 2009-2010
- Research Assistant, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Scholars in Health Policy Research Program, Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2006-2009
- Cochair, Health Research Symposium: Multidisciplinary Approaches for Improving Public Health, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2009
- Cochair, Workshop for Integrating and Discussing Topics in Healthcare, Department of Health Management and Policy, University of Michigan School of Public Health, 2009
- Teaching Assistant, Department of Economics, National Taiwan University, 2004-2005
- Research Assistant, the Taiwan Division, the Center for Energy & Environmental Research, and the Center for Economic Forecasting, Chung-Hua Institute for Economic Research, Taiwan, 2001-2003
Dr. Lin has a strong interest in quantitative methodology in health services research, and his research generally focuses on application of statistical/econometric methodology in examining issues related to patient health care utilization, physician decision making, patient labor market participation, effectiveness of medical care delivery (especially pharmaceuticals), and health outcomes/pharmacoeconomic evaluation in diseases. In particular, he has a strong disease-specific research interest in outcomes evaluation in chronic diseases (especially depression, psoriasis, acne, and glaucoma), and study of economic outcomes (such as health care expenditures) related to pharmacotherapy, and how public health policies should be reconsidered based on economic and patient outcomes Recently Dr. Lin is interested research in prescription and utilization of preventive health services and medications (for example, smoking cessation medications.) Dr. Lin has led and participated in several research projects in the areas of health outcomes, patient medication use behaviors, pharmacoeconomic evaluation and pharmaceutical health services research.
- The Best Poster Presentation Award, Midwest Social and Administrative Pharmacy Conference, 2010
- The Best Master Thesis Award, Taiwan Economic Association, 2004
- Honorary Member, The Phi-Tau-Phi Scholastic Honor Society of Taiwan, 2004
Kokkomen EWJ, Davis SA, Lin HC, Dabade TS, Feldman SR, Fleischer AB. Use of Electronic Medical Records Differs by Specialty and Office Settings. (Journal of American Medical Informatics Association - In Press.)
Lin, HC, Wong SW, Chang SY. The Development of Translational Research in Taiwan (in Chinese). (Taiwan Journal of East Asian Studies - In Press.)
Lin, HC, Alamdari HS, Huang KE, Gustafson CF, Davis SA, Balkrishman R, Feldman SR. Prevalence of Psoriasis and Rosacea Comorbidities in the Outpatient Setting. (Journal of Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery - In Press.)
Shtein RM, Raoof-Daneshvar D, Lin HC, Sugar A, Main SI, Nan B, Stein JD. Author Reply to Letter to the Editor. (Ophthalmology - In Press.)
Shtein RM, Raoof-Daneshvar D, Lin HC, Sugar A, Mian B, Stein JD. Keratoplasty for Corneal Endothelial Disease, 2001-2009. Ophthalmology. 2012; 119:1301-1310.
Chang JW, Patel I, Suh WS, Lin HC, Kim SJ, Balkrishnan R. Does State's Budget Cut Pressure Matter for Uncompensated Care Spending in Hospitals? Findings from Texas and California. Journal of Health Planning and Management.. 2012; 27: 88-103.
Lin HC, Balkrishman R, Lucas PT, Feldman SR. Medication Choice and Associated Health Care Outcomes and Costs for Patients with Psoriasis in the United States. Journal of Dermatological Treatment. 2012: 23:196-202.
Lin HC, Erickson SR, Balkrishnan R. Physician Prescribing Patterns of Innovative Antidepressants in the United States: The Case of MDD Patients 1993-2007. The International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine. 2011; 42(4): 353-368.
Lin HC, Erickson SR, Balkrishnan R. Antidepressant Utilization, Adherence and Health Care Spending in the United States: The Case of MDD Patients 2000-2007. Health Outcomes Research in Medicine. 2011; 2(2): e79-e89.
Patel P, Lin HC, Feldman SR, Fleischer AB, Nahata M, Balkrishnan R. Medication Choice and Associated Health Care Outcomes and Costs for Patients with Acne in the United States. Journal of Drugs in Dermatology. 2011; 10(7): 766-771.
Lin CF, Lin HC. The New Blueprint of Taiwan's Economic Development (in Chinese). Taipei: Council for Economic Planning and Development, Executive Yuan, Taiwan. 2004.
Courses Recently Taught
SPH B491: Reeading in Public Health Education
SPH B492: Research in Public Health Education
SPH H494: Research and Evaluation Methods in Health and Safety (Spring)
SPH P510: Organization and Administration of Public Health Programs (Spring)
SPH H650: Seminar in Public Health Economics (Fall)
SPH B702: Advanced Evaluation Research in Public Health (Fall)
SPH H792: Research in Health Behavior