Joel A. Ybe
Senior Research Scientist
Indiana CTSI Navigator at IUB
501 N. Morton St., Suite 104 (IRAB)
- Rutgers University and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Ph.D., 1991
- Cook College, Rutgers University, B.A., 1984
- 2014 - present Senior Research Scientist, Dept. of Environmental Health, School of Public Health, Indiana University, Bloomington
- 2009 - 2014 Senior Research Scientist, Dept. of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry, Indiana University, Bloomington
- 2000 - 2009 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Biology, Indiana University, Bloomington
- 1995 - 2000 Assistant Research Biochemist, G.W. Hooper Foundation, University of California, San Francisco
- 1991 - 1995 Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Chemistry, Princeton University
- 2003 - 2013 NIH R01 GM064387, PI (Determinants of Clathrin Structure and Function/Structural basis of HIP1 function in Clathrin-mediated Endocytosis and Huntington's disease)
- 2008 -2009 CHDI Foundation, Inc., Discovery Initiative Award, Crystallization and Structure Determination of Human Huntingtin and the Huntingtin/HIP1 complex
My research focuses on the role of endocytic proteins clathrin and huntingtin-interacting protein 1 (HIP1) in neurodegenerative diseases and cancer. I am trained in protein chemistry, biochemistry, cell biology and structural biology (X-ray crystallography). I have solved 5 crystal structures as a postdoc and in my own lab at Indiana University. Atomic coordinates deposited in the Protein Data Bank, PDB codes: 1B89, (3LVG and 3LVH), 2NO2, 2QA7, 3QIL.
Selected PublicationsYi, G., Ybe, J.A., Saha, S.S., Caviness, G., Raymond, E., Ganesan, R., Mbow, M.L., Kao, C.C., 2016. Structural and functional attributes of the Interleukin-36 receptor, J. Biol. Chem (In press), doi: 10.1074/jbc.M116.723064.
Ybe, J.A., 2014. Novel clathrin activity: Developments in health and disease, Biomolecular Concepts 5, pp. 175-182.
Brodsky, F.M., Sosa, T., Ybe, J.A., O'Halloran, T.J., 2014. Unconventional functions for clathrin, ESCRTs, and other endocytic regulators in the cytoskeleton, cell cell, nucleus, and beyond: Links to Human disease, Endocytosis, Coldspring Harbor Laboratory Press, Editors Schmid, S.L., Sorkin, A., and Zerial, M.
Ybe, J.A., Fontaine, S.N., Stone, T., Nix, J., Lin, X. and Mishra, S., 2013. Nuclear localization of clathrin involves a labile helix outside the trimerization domain, FEBS Letters, 587, 142-149. (Featured on front cover of 16 January 2013 issue)
Fontaine, S.N., Lin, X., Bauer, S., Poorfarahani, S. and Ybe, J.A., 2012. Stabilization of the coiled-coil domain of huntingtin-interacting protein 1 (HIP1) causes aggregation and cell death, FEBS Letters, 586, 3030-3036.
Wilbur, J.D., Hwang, P.K., Ybe, J.A., Lane, M., Sellers, B.D., Tran, T., Jacbson, M.P., Fletterick, R.J., Brodsky, F.M., 2010. Conformation switching of clathrin light chain regulates clathrin lattice assembly, Dev Cell, 18(5), 841-848.
Niu, Q., and Ybe, J.A., 2008. Crystal structure at 2.8 Ã… of Huntingtin-interacting protein 1 (HIP1) coiled-coil domain reveals a charged surface suitable for HIP-protein interactor (HIPPI), J. Mol. Biol., 375, 1197-1205.