Randi "Jeanie" Alter
Applied Health Science
Project Manager and Lead Evaluator
Indiana Prevention Resource Center
501 N. Morton St., Suite 110
- Indiana University, Ph.D., 2006
- Wake Forest University, M.A., 2000
- Butler University, B.A., 1998
- Nature of Addiction
- Nature of Addictive Disorders
- Consumer Health
- Health Education in Grades K-6
- Drug Use in American society
- Microteaching Lab for Health Educaton
- Faculty (Non-Tenure Track), Indiana University-Bloomington, Department of Applied Health Science
- Appointed to serve as the Project Manager and Lead Evaluator for the Indiana Prevention Resource Center at Indiana University.
- Provides coordination and oversight of evaluation services and technical assistance for substance abuse prevention grantees.
- Supervises Field Evaluators and Technical Assistance Providers assigned to provide direct evaluation and technical assistance to communities throughout Indiana.
- American School Health Association, Board of Directors.
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist, National Commission for health Education Credentialing, Inc.
- Delbert Oberteuffer Scholar, American Association for Health Education, 2005.
Evaluation of adolescent drug use prevention interventions.
Alter, R.J., Jun, M.K., & McKyer, E.L. (2007). ATOD prevention programming in the non-school-hours and adolescent substance use. Journal of Drug Education, 37(4), 365-377.
Alter, R.J., Lohrmann, D.K, & Greene, R. (2006). Substitution of marijuana for alcohol: The role of perceived access and harm. Journal of Drug Education, 36(4), 335-356.
Alter, R. J. Building support for coordinated school health programs. The Health Educator, 3(1), 3-7.
Alter, R. J. Long-term impact of a district-wide school/community-based substance abuse prevention initiative on gateway drug use. Journal of Drug Education, 35(3), 233-253.
Alter, R. J. Compensation for inconsistencies: The effects of stereotype strength on expectations of applicants' job success and satisfaction. Sex Roles, 53(1-2), 79-87.
Research Conference Presentations
Alter, R.J., & French, M. (2008). Helping rural communities develop critical infrastructure to support strategic planning around substance abuse prevention. Poster Presentation at the annual meeting of the National Rural Health Association, New Orleans, LA.
Fennell, R., Alter, R.J., Sykes, J. Folkers, M., & Fessinger, A. (2007). International Health: Alumni Who Studied Abroad Share Their Experiences. Oral Presentation at the annual meeting of the American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance, Baltimore, MD.
Alter, R. J., Jun, M. K., & Torabi, M. R. (2005). Involvement in prosocial activities and gateway drug use among youth. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, Philadelphia, PA.
Alter, R. J., Lohrmann, D. K., & Greene, R. (2005). Effect of changing perceptions of risk associated with alcohol use on marijuana use among youth and adolescents. Oral Presentation at the annual meeting of the American School Health Association, Burbank, CA.
Alter, R. J., Goetze, D. D., & Kelley, J. E. (2005). Smoking bans and the increased use of smokeless tobacco products: An unintentional effect. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Indiana Public Health Association, Bloomington, IN.
Arvin, C., Stednitz, B., Geary, C., & Alter, R. J. (2005). Physical activity adherence in college students. National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association, Orlando, FL.
Jun, M. K., & Alter, R. J. (2005). Effects of drug abuse prevention programming on gateway drug use among adolescents. Poster presented at the annual Women in Science Research Day, Indiana University-Bloomington.
Alter, R. J., Jun, M. K., & Jones-McKyer, E. L. (2004). Impact of youth participation in ATOD prevention programming: An evaluation of ATOD prevention in Indiana. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Public Health Association, Washington, D.C.
Alter, R. J., Jun, M. K., & Jones-McKyer, E. L. (2004). The effect of a state-wide after-school prevention program on ATOD use in Indiana. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Indiana Public Health Association, West Lafayette, IN.
Alter, R. J., & Flannagan, J. M. (1998). The effects of arousal on memory for first kiss. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Society, Washington, D.C.