Rodrigo X. Armijos
Office: (812) 856-4731 Lab: 812 855 6407
- University of Texas at El Paso, Postdoctoral in Molecular Biology, 2002-2003
- Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico, ScD in Immunology, 2002
- Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico City, Mexico, MSc in Immunology, 1987
- College of Medicine, Central University of Ecuador, Quito, Ecuador, M.D. in Medicine, 1981
- Associate Professor, Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas; 9/2004-7/2015
- Clinical Research Professor Department of Health Promotion, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, Texas; 9/2003-8/2004.
- Associate Professor of Immunology Department of Immunology, College of Medicine, Universidad Central del Ecuador, Quito, 1994-2002
- Chief of Tuberculosis Division, National Institute of Hygiene "Leopoldo Izquieta Perez", Ministry of Public Health, Quito; 1987-2001
- Temporary Advisor Design of International Protocol for Phase I and II Testing of the Biobras Leishvaccin, TDR/World Health Organization Meeting of International Leishmaniasis Experts, San Salvador, Bahia, Brazil, 2/95-2/97
- Peter de Wetter Distinguished Professorship in Health Sciences, UTEP, 2011-2015
- Research and Sponsored Projects Outstanding Performance Award, UTEP, 2009, 2010, 2013, 2014
- Air pollutant exposure, systemic inflammation and child cardiovascular health.
- Occupational Health of agricultural workers.
- Prevention and control of TB and vector-borne parasitic diseases of public health importance (leishmaniasis, intestinal parasitic infections).
- Global health.
Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Meyers O, Li WW, Racines M, Berwick M. (2015). Residential exposure to urban traffic is associated with increased carrotid intima-media thickness in children. Journal of Environmental and Public Health. 2015:713540.
Sobin C, Flores MG, Parisi N, Schaub M, Cervantes M, Armijos RX. (2013). Microglial disruption in Young mice with early chronic exposure to lead. Toxicology Letters. 220:44-52.
Weigel MM, Armijos RX. (2011). Exploratory study of the occupational health and health-seeking of migrant and seasonal farmworkers on the U.S.-Mexico Border. J Immigrant Minority Health. DOI: 10.1007/s10903-011-9503-4.
Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Chacon RI, Flores L, Campos A. (2010). Adjunctive micronutrient supplementation for pulmonary tuberculosis. Salud Publica Mex. 52(3):185-9.
Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Calvopiña, M, Mancheno M. (2004). Comparison of the effectiveness of two topical paromomycin treatments versus meglumine antimoniate for New World cutaneous leishmaniasis. Acta Tropica; 91:153-160.
Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Romero L, Garcia V, Salazar J. (2003). Field trial of a vaccine against New World cutaneous leishmaniasis in an at-Risk child population: How long does protection last? J Infect Diseases; 187: 1959-1961.
Calvopiña MH, Guevarra A, Armijos RX, Gomez EL, Hashiguchi Y, Mimori T, Cooper P. Clinical features of mucosal leishmanisis in the Amazon region of Ecuador. (2002). In: Hasiguchi Y (ed), Studies on New World Leishmaniasis and Its Transmission with Particular Reference to Ecuador. Research Report Series 6. Kochi, Japan.