Applied Health Science
- Western Michigan University, Ph.D., 2010
- Indiana University, M.P.H., 1998
- Indiana University, B.S., 1997
- University of Kentucky Dissertation Grant. Project Title: Local Public Health System Partnerships. $10,000 (2008)
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation New Connections Senior Consultant Grant Award. Project Title: Examination of local health department partnerships with nongovernmental agencies in improving public health outcomes. $42,551 (2007-2008)
- Military Health System Conference Healthcare Innovation Award Recipient, Healthy Lifestyle Category (2008)
- Health Education Program Manager, Health and Wellness, U.S. Air Force
- Program Manager, Exploring Accreditation, National Association of County and City Health Officials
- Program Manager, Minority Health Partnership, Calhoun County Health Department
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Public Health Prevention Specialist
Dr. Priscilla Barnes' research interests are in public health systems and services, health disparities, and faith and public health. More specifically, she examines inter-organizational factors that influence the quality of preventative health care services that racial and ethnic minorities receive within the U.S. public health system. For the past ten years, Dr. Barnes has worked for several public and private organizations including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), regional and local health departments, professional associations and foundations, and the U.S. Air Force. Her primary role, while working for these organizations, was developing and evaluating public health initiatives as well as advocating for programs and policies that improve quality of life for individuals and families.
Shipley M, Lohrmann D, Barnes P, O'Neill J. (2012). Success stories: Communicating the school health message. Accepted for publication in The Health Educator.
Barnes P, Lohrmann D, Day K, Shipley M, O'Neill J. (2012). Indicators of partnership success among MICHIANA coordinated school health teams. Submitted to the Journal of School Health for review.
Mathis A, Barnes P, Mamou F. Shah G. (2012). Integration of community health centers and local health departments in the Great Lakes Region. Accepted for pubilcation in Population Health Management.
Stafford J, Barnes P, Goodman M. (2011). Developing an infrastructure for community based participatory research in Long Island, New York. Submitted to Journal of Community Practice for review.
Shipley M, Lohrmann D, Barnes P, O'Neill J. (2011). "Telling their Story:" Balancing leadership responsibilities and local school health priorities. Accepted for publication in the Journal of School Health.
Mathis A, Barnes P, Moonesighe R. (2012). Reversing racial and ethnic disparities in postneonatal mortality across Florida: The role of local health departments versus private providers. Florida Public Health Review. 9, 9-17.
Barnes P, Curtic A, Downey L, Moonesignhe R. (2012). A multi-state examination of partnership activities among local public health systems. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 18(5): E14-23.
Beatty K, Harris J, Barnes P. (2010, June) The role of inter-organizational partnerships in health services provision among rural, suburban, and urban local health departments. Journal of Rural Health, 26(3): 248-258.
Barnes P, Curtis A. (2009, May/Jun) A national examination of local health department (LHD) partnerships with faith communities in the U.S. Journal of Public Health Managment and Practice, 15(3): 253-263.
Turnock B, Barnes P. (2007 Jul/Aug) History will be so kind. Journal of Public Health Management & Practice. 13(4): 337-341.