MPH-Family Health Concentration Coordinator
Applied Health Science
School of Public Health-Bloomington
- The University of Missouri, Ph.D., 2012
- Univeristy of Missouri-Kansas City, M.S., 2006
- Truman State University, B.S., 2004
- SPH F410 The Science of Positive Youth Development
- SPH F453 Family Life Education
- SPH F656 Families and Health
- Emerging Adults' Romantic Experiences and Health Behaviors (Role-PI), School of Public Health-Bloomington General Research Support.
- Integrating Research on Youths' Romantic and Sexual Experiences (Role-PI), School of Public Health-Bloomington Faculty Research Grant Program.
- Adolescents' Alcohol Use during the Summer between Middle and High School (Role-PI), Indiana Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute Project Development Team Grant Program.
- Family Relations - Editorial Board
Dr. Beckmeyer's research focuses on how adolescent and young adult intimate relationships (e.g., peers, friends, and romantic partners) and family systems influence their health. He is particularly interested in their influences on substance use, sexual health, and mental health.
Beckmeyer, J. J., Ganong, L. H., Coleman, M., & Markham, M. S. (In press). Experiences with coparenting scale: A semantic differential measure of post-divorce coparenting satisfaction. Journal of Family Issues. doi:10.1177/0192513x16634764
Beckmeyer, J. J., & Weybright, E. H. (In press). Perceptions of alcohol use by friends compared to peers: Associations with middle adolescents' own use. Substance Abuse. doi:10.1080/08897077.2015.1134754
Malacane, M. & Beckmeyer, J. J. (2016). A review of the barriers to parent-adolescent communication about sex and sexuality: Implications for sex and family educators. American Journal of Sexuality Education, 11, 27-40.doi:10.1080/15546128.2016.114618
Beckmeyer, J. J. (2015). Comparing the associations between three forms of adolescents' romantic involvement and their engagement in substance use. Journal of Adolescence, 42, 140-147. doi:10.1016/j.adolescence.2015.04.008
Beckmeyer, J. J., Coleman, M., & Ganong, L. H. (2014). Post-divorce coparenting typologies and children's adjustment. Family Relations, 63, 526-537. doi: 10.1111/fare.12086
Beckmeyer, J. J., & Bramwell, J.* (2014, November). How maternal knowledge influences early adolescents' depressive symptoms. Paper session presented at the annual National Council on Family Relations Conference, Baltimore, MD.
Beckmeyer, J. J. (2014, November). Comparing perceptions of how many peers' and friends use alcohol: Associations with middle adolescents' own alcohol use. Poster session presented at the American Public Health Association annual meeting, New Orleans, LA.
Beckmeyer, J. J. (2013, November). Parental behavioral control and knowledge: Associations with adolescent delinquency. Poster session presented at the annual National Council on Family Relations Conference, San Antonio, TX.
Beckmeyer, J. J., & Yu, M. (2013, November). Middle adolescents' ATOD use: Associations with weekday and weekend unsupervised time with peers and parental monitoring knowledge. Poster session presented at the American Public Health Association annual meeting, Boston, MA.