Andrea Kaye Chomistek
Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Harvard School of Public Health, ScD, 2011
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, MPH, 2006
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, BA, 2001
- SPH-E 658 Intermediate Epidemiology
- SPH-E 650 Special Topics: Advanced Epidemiology II
- SPH-E 650 Special Topics: Nutritional Epidemiology
- 2011 - 2013: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health
- 2012 - 2013: Brigham and Women's Hospital Campaign for Cancer Prevention Portfolio Project. Title: Improved measures of physical activity in the study of breast and colon cancer. Role: Co-investigator
- 2012: Travel grant for 2012 Women's Health Initiative Investigators Meeting
- 2012: Trudy Bush Fellowship for Cardiovascular Research in Women's Health; American Heart Association Epidemiology and Prevention/Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism Scientific Sessions
My research interests involve physical activity and the epidemiology of chronic diseases, primarily cardiovascular disease (CVD). My previous work focused on the role of biomarkers and genes in the association between physical activity and coronary heart disease as well as the health effects of vigorous-intensity exercise. During my postdoctoral training, I coordinated the physical activity component of a large study to validate a physical activity questionnaire and food frequency questionnaire used in multiple large cohorts. More recently, I have focused on studying the joint associations of physical activity and sedentary behavior on risk of CVD as well as other chronic diseases. My current research efforts include evaluating multiple dimensions of physical activity and how they relate to disease outcomes as well as examining the benefits of physical activity on cardiovascular risk factors in high risk populations.
Chomistek AK, Henschel B, Eliassen AH, Mukamal KJ, Rimm EB. Frequency, type, and volume of leisure-time physical activity and risk of coronary heart disease in young women. Circulation. (In press)
Sotos-Prieto M, Mattei J, Hu FB, Chomistek AK, Rimm EB, Willett WC, Eliassen AH, Chiuve SE. Association between a Healthy Heart Score and the development of clinical cardiovascular risk factors among women: a potential role for primordial prevention. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2016 Jan; 9(1): S77-85.
Chomistek AK, Shiroma EJ, Lee IM. The relationship between time of day of physical activity and obesity in older women. J Phys Act Health. 2016 Apr:13(4): 416-418. Epub 2015 Oct 7.
Zhang R*, Chomistek AK*, Dimitrakoff JD, Giovannucci EL, Willett WC, Rosner BA, Wu K. Physical activity and chronic prostatitis/chronic pelvic pain syndrome. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2015 Apr; 47(4):757-64.
*Denotes co-first authorship
Chomistek AK, Chiuve SE, Eliassen AH, Mukamal KJ, Willett WC, Rimm EB. Healthy lifestyle in the primordial prevention of cardiovascular disease among young women. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2015 Jan 6;65(1):43-51.
Chomistek AK, Manson JE, Stefanick ML. Lu B, Sands M, Going SB, Garcia L, Allison MA, Sims ST, LaMonte MJ, Johnson KC, Eaton CB. The relationship of sedentary behavior and physical activity to incident cardiovascular disease: Results from the Women's Health Initiative. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2013; 61(23): 2346-54.
Chomistek AK, Chasman DI, Cook NR, Rimm EB, Lee IM. Physical activity, genes for physical fitness, and risks of coronary heart disease. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2013; 45(4): 691-7.
Qi Q, Li Y, Chomistek AK, Kang JH, Curhan GC, Pasquale LR, Willett WC, Rimm EB HuFB, Qi L. Television watching, leisure time physical activity, and the genetic predisposition in relation to body mass index in women and men. Circulation. 2012; 126(15): 1821-7.
Chomistek AK, Cook NR, Flint AJ, Rimm EB. Vigorous-intensity physcial activity and risk of major chronic disease in men. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 2012; 44(10): 1898-905.