Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
(812 ) 855-0203
- Indiana University, Ph.D. Candidate, 2016
- Antioch University New England, M.S., 1987
- Huxley College of the Environment/Western Washington University, B.S., 1979
- SPH R110/200 Foundations of Leisure and Public Health
- SPH O210 Introduction to Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Human Ecology
- SPH O340 Interpretation and Tour Guiding
- SPH O413: Applications in Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Human Ecology
- Park Ranger, Mese Verde National Park, 2015 & 2016
- Visiting Lecturer in Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Human Ecology, Indiana University
- Park Guide, Lincoln Home National Historic Site, 2012
- Park Ranger, Zion National Park, 2011
- Education Director, Indiana Dunes Environmental Learning Center, 2005-2010
- Senior Research Associate, National Park Service Social Science Program, 1999-2005
Outdoor recreation; recreation management; science-based management of parks and protected areas; visitor experiences in parks, protected areas, museums, and other leisure/tourist sites; visitor-centered, two-way interpretation through dialogue; free-choice, constructivist teaching and learning; environmental education; human ecology, interdisciplinary environmental studies; humans and nature; natural and cultural history of the United States
Stanne, S. P., Panetta, R. G., & Forist, B. E. (2005). The Hudson: An illustrated guide to the living river (2nd ed.). New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press.
Knapp, D., & Forist, B. (2015). A new commitment to the visitor. Legacy: The Magazine of the National Association for Interpretation, 26(3), 34-37.
Knapp, D., & Forist, B. (2014). A new interpretive pedagogy. Journal of Interpretation Research, 19(1), 33-38.
Le, L., Forist, B., & Hollenhorst, S. J. (2005). Keweenaw National Historical Park visitor study: Visitor services project technical report. Moscow, ID: National Park Service Social Science Program.
Forist, B. E. (2003). Visitor use and evaluation of interpretive media. Washington, DC: National Park Service Social Science Program