Michael Shawn Hendryx
Applied Health Science
809 E 9th St, Room 202
- University of Chicago, Post Doctoral Fellowship, 1988
- Northwestern Univeristy, Ph.D., 1986
- Northwestern University, M.S., 1985
- University of Nevada Reno, B.A., 1982
- SPH H494 Research and Evaluation Methods in Health
- SPH P698 MPH Culminating Experience in Public Health Administration
- Professor and Chair, Department of Health Policy, Management, and Leadership, School of Public Health, West Virginia University, 2011-2013
- PI and Director, West Virgina Rural Health Research Center, West Virginia University, 2008-2013, Rural Health Research Grant Program Cooperative Agreement, HRSA, U1CRH10664-04-02
- Academic Partner, Environmental Protection Agency Toxics Release Inventory University Challenge, 2013-2014
- Associate Professor (2006-2012) Department of Health Policy, Management and Leadership, School of Public Health, West Virginia University
- Co-Investigator, â€œDiabetes, Metformin, and Breast Cancer Prognosis.â€ National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health. 1R15CA179463-01. 2013-2016
My research interests focus on health disparities for disadvantaged populations. I am especially interested in the impacts of uneven environmental exposures faced by socioeconomically disadvantaged groups. Much of this work has examined health disparities for people who live in coal mining areas of Appalachia.
Hendryx M, Entwhistle J, Kenny E, Illyn P. Health status among urban residents living in proximity to petroleum coke storage: a first examination. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 2016, in press.
Hendryx M, Holland B. Unintended consequences of the Clean Air Act: mortality rates in Appalachian coal mining communities. Environmental Science and Policy, 2016, in press.
Hendryx M, Luo J. An examination of the effects of mountaintop removal coal mining on respiratory symptoms and COPD using propensity scores. International Journal of Environmental Health Research, 2015, 25(3), 265-276.
Luo J, Hendryx M, Virnig B, Wen S, Chlebowski R, Chen C, Rohan T, Tinker L, Wactawski-Wende J, Lessin L, Margolis K. Pre-existing diabetes and breast cancer prognosis among elderly women. British Journal of Cancer, 2015, 113, 827-832.
Kurth L, Kolker A, Engle M, Geboy N, Hendryx M, Orem W, McCawley M, Crosby L, Tatu C, Varonka M, DeVera C. Atmospheric particulate matter in proximity to mountaintop coal mines: sources and potential environmental and human health impacts. Environmental Geochemistry and Health, 2015, 37(3), 529-544.
Luo J, Lin HS, He K, Hendryx M. Diabetes and prognosis in older persons with colorectal cancer. British Journal of Cancer, 2014, 110, 1847-1854.
Luanpitpong S, Chen M, Knuckles T, Wen S, Luo J, Ellis E, Hendryx M, Rojanasakul Y. Appalachian mountaintop mining particulate matter induces neoplastic transformation of human bronchial epithelial cells and promotes tumor formation. Environmental Science and Technology, 2014, 48, 12912-12919.