- Indiana University, Ph.D.in Human Performance, 2012
- Colorado State University, M.S. in.Exercise and Sport Science, 1989
- University of Illinois Champaign-Urbana, B.S. in.Leisure Studies Program Specialist option, 1980
- SPH K565 Behavioral Aspects of Physical Activity
- SPH P217 PA/Exercise Group Instruction
- SPH K416 Fitness Administration
- Fellow American College of Sports Medicine, 2015 to present
- Exercise is Medicine Advisory Board, 2015 to present
- IU SPH Trustees Teaching Excellence Award, 2004, 2009 & 2013
- Editorial Board, Health and Fitness Journal, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), 2004-present
- Wellness Council of Indiana Advisory Board- 2009-present
- November 07-10': American Council on Exercise National Advisory Board member
- Certification and Education Committee for the Health/Fitness Track, American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), 1998-2003
- Program Director, Fitness/Wellness, Indiana University Recreational Sports, 1994-2003
- Program Director, SportWell Program, Student Health Center, University of Illinois, 1989-1994
- Certified Health/Fitness Specialist (American College of Sports Medicine) since 1990
- Certified Group Exercise Instructor (American Council on Exercise) since 1999
- Certified Functional Movement Screening (FMS) since 2011
I enjoy the combination of teaching, service, and research. My doctoral work focused on translational research in a military setting for active duty personnel over 40 years old. I have a special interest in functional movement, worksite wellness, safe and effective fitness instruction and evaluating health outcomes relating to physical activity. My passion is promoting, teaching and evaluating safe, effective, outcome-based physical activity/movement program delivery methods in order to encourage healthy lifestyles and focus on improved quality of life and prevention of illness.
- Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Zinkan, M., Petscher, L. Kiessling, P. & Kennedy, J. Movement in the classroom: Impact of Teacher Movement and Classroom Movement Initiatives at Fairview Elementary School within Monroe County Community School Corporation (MCCSC). SPH Community-Based Research Partnerships in Indiana 11-15-2015($4,000).
- Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Kiessling, P., Stegemann, J. Impact of Movement initiatives at work/school on MSD Wayne township School administrators, teachers, and students. SPH Community-Based Reseach Partnerhips in Indiana/MSD Wayne Township School District, Jan. 2015 ($10,000).
- 2012-Present - Healthy IU service contract to assist with IU faculty/staff healthy change program evaluation and delivery.
- 2008-2013 -Senior Health Assessment Program with the United States Navy. Service contract provides six Fitness Specialists to three Navy bases (Norfolk, VA, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, and San Diego, CA) to deliver the SHAPE program to Navy active duty personnel 40 years and up and evaluate a waterfront research project in San Diego, CA. -http://www.navyfitness.org/shape/
- Get Up! Get Going! Functional Movement in Your Day - TEDxYouth@Indianapolis presention -YouTube Video of Presentation
Kiessling, B. & Kennedy-Armbruster. (2016). Move more, Sit less, Be well. Behavioral Aspect of Activity Trackers. ACSM Health and Fitness Journal, Nov/Dec 20-16, 26-31.
Hoffman, L. and Kennedy-Armbruster (2015). Case Study Using Worksite Wellness Program, ACSM Health and Fitness Journal, April/May 30-35.
Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Evans, E., Sexauer, L., Peterson, J., Wyatt, W. (2013). Association among Functional-movement ability, Fatigue, and Sedentary time, and fitness in 40 years and older active duty military personnel, Military Medicine, 178:12:1358-1364.
Huber, L., Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Yoke, M. (2013). The Health Education Monograph, Physical Activity and Public Health, 30:1, pg. 8-14.
Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Shipley, M., Yoke, M., & Calvert (2012). Personal Training and Fitness Coaching: Do They Really Work? ACE Certified News, Jan. 2012.
Kennedy-Armbruster, C., Marquette, D., & Williams, D. (2011). Project Matrix: Fitness Educators and Fitness Equipment Manufacturers Working Together Innovatively. ACSM Health and Fitness Journal. July/Aug. 2011.
Huber, L., Allen, P. & Kennedy-Armbruster, C. (2010). Synergy and Sensibility: A Course on entrepreneurship in Gerotechnologies. Gerontology & Geriatrics Education. 31:181-197.
Kennedy-Armbruster, C, Huber, L. & Ona, F. (2009). Increasing Functional Fitness Using Internet-based Video Conferencing, ACSM Health and Fitness Journal, 13:3, 31-32.
Reis, J., Flegel, M., & Kennedy, C. (1996). An Assessment of Lower Back Pain in Young Adults: Implications for College Health Education. Journal of American College Health, 44(6), 289-293.
Kennedy, C., Reis, J., Bane, S., & Stang, J. (1995). A Comparison of Body Image Perceptions of Exercising and Nonexercising College Students. Wellness Perspectives Research, Theory, and Practice, 11(3).
Kennedy-Armbruster, C. and Yoke, M. (2014) Methods of Group Exercise Instruction, Edition #3. Human Kinetics Publishers, Champaign, IL.
Yoke, M. & Kennedy, C.A. (2004) Functional exercise progressions. Monterey, CA: Healthy Learning Publisher.
Kennedy, C.A., and Legel, D. (1992) Anatomy of an Exercise Class: An Exercise Educator's Handbook. Sagamore Publishing. Champaign, IL.
2010: Technical Editor Fitness for Dummies, Edition #4, Wiley Publishing, Inc., Indianapolis, IN. 2014
Group Exercise Programming - ACSM Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription 2010, 2007 & 2014.