Matthew J. Maus
Research Coordinator, Center of Underwater Science
- Indiana University, M.A., 2015
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Anthropology, History , 2008
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Certificate in Archaeology., 2008
- SPH I-270 Introduction to Scientific Scuba
- SPH I-272 Scuba Knowledge Development
- SPH I-370 Scuba Certification
- SPH I-371 Advanced Scuba
- SPH I-471 Underwater Archaeology Techniques
BackgroundMatt Maus is adjunct faculty in the Academic Diving Program. He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Wisconsin – Madison and his Masters of Arts in Archaeology from Indiana University. In addition to previous experience in archaeology and wildlife conservation, he was the US Peace Corps Living Museums of the Sea National Coordinator in the Dominican Republic. His research fields are underwater archaeology, photogrammetry, and the protection of submerged cultural resources and associated ecosystems through the establishment of MPAs. Matthew is a PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer and is the Director of Field Operations for the Center for Underwater Science.
Professional Certifications and Training
- IU Scientific Diving Instructor
- PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer
- PADI Enriched Air Instructor
- PADI Dry Suit Instructor
- Emergency First Responder Instructor
- DAN DEMP Instructor
- Sherwood Regulators Technician
- OTS Guardian FFCM Technician
- Venturi Jet and Dredge Operation
- Compressor Operation (HP Hazmat – IU)
- Fischer PT-1 Proton Magnetometer
- Fischer Pulse 8 Metal Detector
n.d. Maus, Matthew J., Geoffrey W. Conrad, John W. Foster, Charles D. Beeker. Underwater Caves in the Taíno World. In The Archaeology of Underwater Caves, Peter Campbell, editor. Oxbow / David Brown Books. In press, anticipated 2016.
2014 Maus, Matthew J., Charles D. Beeker, Laura E. Wasylenki, Claudia C. Johnson. Preliminary Analysis of 16th-Century Wrought Iron: Caballo Blanco, Dominican Republic. In ACUA Underwater Archaeology Proceedings 2014, Charles Dagneau and Karolyn Gauvin, editors, pp. 207–216. Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology, Germantown, MD.
2013 Maus, Matthew J., Charles D. Beeker. The 1725 Nuestra Señora de Begoña: Ongoing Investigations of a Spanish Merchant Fragata and Cultural Conservation Strategies in La Caleta de Caucedo, Dominican Republic. In ACUA Underwater Archaeology Proceedings 2013, Colin Breen and Wes Forsythe, editors, pp. 19–29. Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology, Germantown, MD.
2013 Foster, John W., Matthew J. Maus, Anna Rogers. Talegas and Hoards: The Archaeological Signature of Contraband on a 1725 Spanish Merchant Vessel. In ACUA Underwater Archaeology Proceedings 2013, Colin Breen and Wes Forsythe, editors, pp. 31–38. Advisory Council on Underwater Archaeology, Germantown, MD.
2010 Maus, Matthew J. The Projectile Points of the Brogley Rockshelter. The Wisconsin Archeologist 91(2):41-62.