Bryan P. McCormick
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
- Clemson University, Ph.D., 1993
- Pennsylvania State University, M.S., 1990
- Pennsylvania State University, B.S., 1986
- R561 Advanced Therapeutic Recreation Processes
- T590 Research in Health, Physical Education and Recreation
- T591 Interpretation of Data in Health, Physical Education and Recreation
- Past-President, American Therapeutic Recreation Association
- David R. Austin Member of the Year Award, Recreation Therapists of Indiana
- School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation Teaching Excellence Recognition Award
- Associate Editor, Journal of Leisure Research
- Co-Editor, Annual in Therapeutic Recreation (Vols. 13-14)
- Fulbright Scholar, 2010, University of Kragujevac, Serbia
My research focuses on the social and community functioning of people with severe mental illnesses. Through the use of a variety of research methodologies, we have examined such elements as daily physical activity, mood, and social context as well as recreation and support networks. All of this research has sought to identify the role of everyday experience in well-being.
Austin, D. R., Dattilo, J., & McCormick, B. P. (Eds.). (2002). Conceptual foundations for therapeutic recreation. State College, PA: Venture.
Snethen, G., McCormick, B.P., & Van Puymbroeck, M. (2011). Independence through Community Access and Navigation in adults with schizophrenia spectrum disorders Part 1: Theoretical and practical foundations. American Journal of Recreation Therapy, 10(1), 25-34.
McCormick, B. P., Frey, G. C., Lee, C.-T., Gajic, T., Stamatovic-Gajic, B., & Maksimovic, M. (2009). A Pilot Examination of Social Context and Everyday Physical Activity Among Adults Receiving Community Mental Health Services Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica, 119, 243-247.
McCormick, B. P., Frey, G. C., Lee, C.-T., Chun, S., Sibthorp, J., Gajic, T., Stamatovic-Gajic, B., & Maksimovic, M. (2008). Predicting transitory mood from physical activity level among people with severe mental illness in two cultures. International Journal of Social Psychiatry, 54(6), 527-538.
Chun, S., Lee, Y., Lundberg, N., McCormick, B. P., & Heo, J. (2008). Contribution of community integration to quality of life for participants of community-based adaptive sport programs. Therapeutic Recreation Journal. 42(4), 217-226.
Heo, J., Lee, Y., Lundberg, N., McCormick, B. P., & Chun, S. (2008). Adaptive Sport as Serious Leisure: Do Self-Determination, Skill Level, and Leisure Constraints Matter? Annual in Therapeutic Recreation, 16, 31-37.
Funderburk, J. A., McCormick, B. P., & Austin, J. K. (2007). Does attitude toward epilepsy mediate the relationship between perceived stigma and mental health outcomes in children with epilepsy? Epilepsy and Behavior, 11(1), 71-76.
Keogh-Hoss, M. A., & McCormick, B. P. (2007). Identifying quality indicators for recreational therapy. Annual in Therapeutic Recreation, 15, 35-44.
Lee, Y. & McCormick, B. P. (2006). The relationship of self-monitoring and leisure functioning of people with spinal cord injury. Journal of Leisure Research, 38, 1-19.