Applied Health Science
Rural Center for AIDS/STD Prevention
(812) 855-0585 TWITTER: @Beth_Meyerson
- Saint Louis University, Ph.D., 2002
- Christian Theological Seminary, MDiv, 1992
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1988
- Public Health Policy and Politics
- Organization and Administration of Public Health Programs (online)
- Foundations of Public Health
- Acquiring and Managing External Funds for Health and Human Services
- Culminating Experience
- Message for Prospective MPH and doctoral students
- National Board of Directors – Lambda Legal
- President/CEO, Policy Resource Group, LLC - 1998-2011
- Co-Chair, Panel on Prevention Programs, Capacity Building and Program Evaluation and member of the Steering Committee for the External Peer Review of the Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention Surveillance, Research, and HIV Prevention Programs. Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Center for HIV/AIDS, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - 2009
- Institute of Medicine, Committee on Ryan White: Data for Resource Allocation, Planning and Evaluation - 2002-2003
- Board of Directors - American Social Health Association - 2002-2008
- Chief, Bureau of STD/HIV Prevention, State of Missouri - 1994-1998
Dr. Meyerson has been involved with public health policy and systems for the past 20 years. Her systems research includes the identification of need and opportunities for system expansion of access to sexual health services. This has included the study of alternative screening venues for cervical cancer (STD clinics) and HIV testing (pharmacy practice expansion and community health centers). Her policy research focuses on policy behaviors and their measurement, particularly by public institutions. Examples of this work include studies of state STD investment, local public health accreditation, and reported policy behaviors of state STD programs and local health departments. Dr. Meyerson has worked throughout the United States, in sub-Saharan Africa, in India and the Caribbean.
- Public health policy adoption – syringe exchange, public health accreditation, sexual health policies (HPV vaccine, HIV testing, STI services)
- Evidence-based policy communication
- Pharmacies as a means of extending access to public health services (sexual health services as well as syringe access)
- Center for HPV Research, IUPUI
- The Kinsey Institute, Affiliate Faculty
- IU Simon Cancer Center, Cancer Prevention and Control Program
- Department of Gender Studies, Affiliate Faculty
- African Studies Program
Books and Chapters
Crosby RA. & Meyerson BE. STI counseling and condom use instruction: Opportunities for STI clinics. In J. Zenilman and M. Shahmanesh (Eds.) Sexually Transmitted Infections and Reproductive Health -- A Guide for Clinicians. Elsevier Publishing, 2011.
Meyerson BE, Martich FA, Naehr GP. Ready to Go: The History and Contributions of U.S. Public Health Advisors. Research Triangle Park: American Social Health Association, 2008.
Complete List of Refereed Articles: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/myncbi/beth.meyerson.1/bibliography/42452198/public/?sort=date&direction=descending
Meyerson BE, Lawrence CA, Miller L, Gillespie A, Raymond D, Kelley K, Shannon DJ. Against the odds: Syringe exchange policy implementation in Indiana. AIDS and Behavior (accepted Jan 2017). DOI: 10.1007/s10461-017-1688-7
Liu SS, Meyerson BE, King J, Yih Y, Ostovari M. Drivers and barriers for adopting accreditation at local health departments for their performance improvement effort. J Public Health Management and Practice 2016; in press.
Agley JD, Meyerson BE, Shannon DJ, Ryder PT, Ritchie K, Gassman R. Using the hybrid method to survey U.S. pharmacists: Applying lessons learned to leverage technology. Research in Social and Administrative Pharmacy 2016; 13 (2017) 250–252. doi:10.1016/j.sapharm.2016.09.007. PMID: 27743847
Davis A, Meyerson BE, Aghaulor B, Brown K, Watson A, Muessig KE, Yang L, Tucker JD. Barriers to health services access among female migrant Ugandan sex workers in Guangzhou, China. International Journal for Equity in Health 2016; 15:170. PMID: 27741947 PMCID: PMC5064915 DOI: 10.1186/s12939-016-0453-2.
Meyerson BE, King J, Comer K, Liu SS, Miller L. It’s not just a yes or no answer: Expression of local health department accreditation. Frontiers in Public Health 2016; 4(21):1-7. PMID: 2690934 PMCID: PMC475461 DOI: 10.3389/fpubh.2016.00021
Venetis MK, Meyerson BE, Friley B, Gillespie A, Ohmit A, Shields CG. Sexual orientation disclosure to medical providers. Health Communication 2016; June 21. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/wUvNS4zuRQPGsJBJAFMQ/full
Meyerson BE, Carter GA, Lawrence CA, Jimison L, Rush N, Carter C, Coleman D, King A, Buckner D, Harvey R, Parker T, Gillespie A, Ohmit A. Expanding HIV testing in African American communities through community-based distribution of test vouchers. AIDS Patient Care & STDs 2016; 30(3).
Davis A, Best J, Luo J, Van Der Pol B, Dodge B, Meyerson BE, Aalsma M, Wei C, Tucker J, Social Entrepreneurship for Sexual Health Research Group. Risk behaviors, HIV/STI testing, and HIV/STI prevalence between men who have sex with men and men who have sex with both men and women in China. International Journal of STD & AIDS 2015; DOI: 0956462415596302.
Meyerson BE, Sayegh MA. State Size and Government Level Matter Most: A Structural Equation Model of Local Health Department Policy Behaviors. J Public Health Management Practice (in press)
Meyerson BE, Navale SM, Gillespie A, Ohmit A. Do Midwestern Community Health Centers Offer Routine HIV Testing? Experience from Indiana. American Journal of Public Health (in press).
Meyerson BE, Lawrence CA, Smith JS. Attend to the "small p" stuff: State policy issues affecting cervical cancer efforts. Open Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2014; 4(8): 455-461.
Meyerson BE, Emetu RE, Sanders S, Bailey MM, Ryder PT, Armstrong JA. Preferences of Gay and Bisexual Men for Pharmacy Based HIV Testing and Over-the-counter Tests. LGBT Health 2014; 1(3): 225-228.
Meyerson BE, Barnes PR, Emetu RE, Bailey MM, Ohmit A, Gillespie A. Institutional and structural barriers to HIV testing: Elements for a theoretical framework. AIDS Patient Care & STDs. 2014; 28(1): 22-27. doi:10.1089/apc.2013.0238
Meyerson BE, Ryder PT, Von Hippel CD, Coy KC. We can do more than just sell the test: Pharmacist perspectives about over the counter rapid HIV tests. AIDS and Behavior 2013; (February Online First; in press for print journal) DOI: 10.1007/s10461-013-0427-y
Meyerson BE, Ryder P, Smith C. Achieving Pharmacy Based Public Health: A Call for Public Health Engagement. Public Health Reports 2013; 128(3) May/June.
Meyerson BE, Lawrence CA, Smith JS. Attend to the "small p" stuff: State policy issues affecting cervical cancer efforts. Cancer Causes and Control 2013; Spr/Sum.
Meyerson BE, Crosby RA, Zimet GM, Van der Pol B. "Thinking Differently About Cervical Cancer Screening in High Risk Populations," American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2012; 43(2): 221-224.
Meyerson BE, Gilbert LK. "Show Me the Money: State Investment in STD Prevention, 2007". Journal of Public Health Management Practice, 16(3) (2010) 232-239.
Crosby RA, Head S, DiClemente RJ, Meyerson BE, Troutman A. "Do Protective Behaviors Follow the Experience of Being Tested for HSV-2?" Sexually Transmitted Diseases, 35(9) (2008) 787-790.
Perkins D, Meyerson BE, Klinkenberg WD, Laffoon BT. "Assessing HIV Care and Unmet Need: Eight Databases and a Bit of Perserverence." AIDS Care, 20(3) (2008). 318-326.
Meyerson BE, Klinkenberg WD, Perkins D, Laffoon BT. "Who's In and Who's Out: Use of Primary Medical Care Among People Living with HIV." American Journal of Public Health 2007; 97:744-749.