Jennifer A. Piatt
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
Recreational Therapy Graduate Program Coordinator
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
- University of Utah, Ph.D., 2007
- California State University, Chico, M.S., 2000
- California State University, Chico, B.S., 1995
- SPH Y470 Professional Issues in Recreational Therapy
- SPH R550 Leisure and Public Health
- SPH X590 Intro to Research in Kinesiology, Health Sciences, and Recreation
- Trustee Teaching Award, School of Public Health 2015
- National Institute of Health, Clinical Loan Repayment Grant, 2017
- Associate Editor, Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 2014-present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Leisure Research, 2009-present
- Steering Committee Member, Adapted Sport Club Bloomington, 2013-present
- David Austin Award in Recreational Therapy, 2014
- Technical Expert, Center for Rehabilitation Outcomes Research Training Modules, 2012-present
- Advisory Committee Member, Paralyzed Veterans of Amerca Grant funded research project, 2014
- Outstanding Therapeutic Recreation Educator, California Parks and Recreation Society, 2010
Dr. Jennifer Piatt, Assistant Professor at Indiana University at Bloomington in the School of Public Health, has worked in the health care field as a recreational therapist for over 18 years in acute mental health, physical medicine and rehabilitation, community recreation programs, Paralympic Clubs, and adapted sports camps. Her research focus is in the area of mobility impairments, primarily spinal cord injury and community participation as defined by the International Classification for Disability and Health (ICF). Dr. Piatt has delivered over 60 presentations and has secured over $200,000 in grant funds to examine recreational therapy interventions.
Piatt, J.A., Å abanoviÄ‡ S., Nagata, S., Bennett, C. C., Kang, S., & Hakken, D. (2016) Socially Assistive Robots: A unique recreational therapy intervention for seniors with depression living in the community. American Journal of Recreational Therapy. DOI: 10.5055/ajrt.2016.000.
Piatt, J. A., Van Puymbroeck, M., Zahl, M., Rosenbluth, J., & Wells, M. (2016). Examining how the perception of health can impact participation and autonomy among adults with spinal cord injury. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation, 22(3), 165-172. Doi:10.1310/sci2203-165.
Piatt, J.A., Nagata, S., Zahl, M., Li, J., & Rosenbluth, J., (2015). Problematic secondary health conditions and its impact on social activities and daily life within a SCI population. Journal of Spinal Cord Medicine. Doi: 10.1080/10790268.2015.1123845.
Piatt, J., Roark, M., Rimmer, J., McLachlin, L., Taylor, J., Erickson, B., & Zahl, M. (in press, 2014). The impact of disability sports camp on health related quality of life among youth with physical disabilities. Annual in Therapeutic Recreation.
Sabanovic, S., Bennett, C.C., Piatt, J.A., Chang, W., Hakken, D., Kang, S., & Ayer, D. (in press, 2014). Participatory design of socially assistive robots for preventive patient-centered healthcare. IEEE IROS Workshop on assistive robotics for individuals with disabilities. Chicago, IL.
Piatt, J., Wells, M.S., Rothwell, E., & Bell, S. (December 2014). Want it; Can't find it. The lack of sport opportunities for adolescents with physical disabilities. Palestra 28(3), 33-36.
Bennett, J.L., Van Puymbroeck, M., Piatt, J.A., & Rydell, R.J. (April 2014). Veteran's perceptions of benefits and important program components of a therapeutic fly-fishing program. Therapeutic Recreation Journal, 28(2), 169-187.
Knapp, D., Devine, M.A., Piatt, J., & Dawson, S. (December 2013). Examining social acceptance and quality of life at a camp for youth with physical disabilities. Children's Health Care. Doi: 10.1080/02739615.2013.870041
Piatt, J.A., Wells, M.S., Kang, S., Shinichi, N., Li, J., & Gambrall, M. (accepted, 2015). "Spirit in Motion": Understanding the outcomes of adapted sport participation. Symposium on Sports and Leisure Industry, Pan-Hellenic Association of Sport Economists & Managers (PASEM).
Piatt, J.A. & Dawson, S. (July 2014). Chapter 10: Pediatric practice. In Austin, Crawford, McCormick, & Van Puymbroeck: Recreational Therapy: An Introduction.