Visiting Research Associate
Applied Health Science
IU Research Park, Suite 109
- The Ohio State University, M.S. in Natural Resources, 1999
- Ohio Wesleyan University, B.A. in Zoology, 1986
- Owner and Principal Researcher of Somers Consulting providing organizational, program development, and evaluation expertise to parks and recreation agencies and organizations including zoos and museums. 2001-2004 and 2010-2015.
- Training Manager and Evaluation Consultant for Denver Zoo. 2005-2009.
- Research Associate at The Ohio State University coordinating the Wonders in Nature - Wonders in Neighborhoods Program Evaluation. 2000-2001.
- Research Associate - Evaluation Coordinator, Grant Writer, and Project Coordinator in the School of Natural Resources at The Ohio State University. 1998-2000
- Public Relations Director at Utica Zoological Society, New York. 1995-1996.
- Phi Beta Kappa Honorary Society. 1986.
- Epsilon Sigma Phi and Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Societies. 1999.
- Park and recreation program development
- Stakeholder-based and participatory evaluation
- The role of park and recreation agencies (including zoos, aquaria, and museums) in the development of scientific literacy and attitudes toward the environment
Ms. Somers-Griffin is interested in assisting organizations, particularly centers of non-formal and informal education such as parks, zoos, and museums, better accomplish their goals and meet the needs of their constituents. In her current role at the National Center on Accessibility, she will be focused on working with park and recreation agencies to better integrate and serve the needs of the 57 million U.S. citizens with disabilities so these individuals have equal access to the physical, psychological, cognitive, and emotional benefits these entities and environments provide.
Foxcliff Estates Community Association Perception of Neighborhood Safety and Security Priorities Survey. 2015.
National Park Service Interpretation & Education Directorate Data Collection Plan Project. 2012-2013.
Prescott College Accessible Teacher Preparation for Rural Arizona Early Childhood Education Program - Mid Course Review. 2012.
Denver Zoo's Mongolian Conservation Education Program Evaluation. 2009-2010.
Somers, C. (2004).Evaluation of the Wonders in Nature-Wonders in Neighborhoods Conversation Education Program: Stakeholders Gone Wild!. In Norland, E. and Somers C. (Eds.) Evaluating Nonformal Education Programs and Settings. New Directions for Evaluation, no. 108. San Fransciso: Jossey-Bass.
Norland, E. and Somers C. (Eds.). (2004). Evaluating Nonformal Educuation Programs and Setting. New Directions for Evaluation, no. 108. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.