- Oregon Health & Science University, Postdoctoral Fellowship
- University of California at Los Angeles, Ph.D.
- Florida Atlantic University at Boca Raton, MA
- Florida Atlantic University, BA
- Professor of Environmental Health (tenured), School of Public Health, Indiana University-Bloomington, 8/2015-present.
- Senior Fellow, Prometeo Program, Ecuadorian National Secretary of Higher Education, Science, Technology, and Innovation, 5/2014-7/2016.
- Professor of Public Health Sciences (tenured), Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2004-2015.
- Founding Director, CEPH-accredited Master of Public Health Program, Department of Public Health Sciences, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2007-2015.
- Associate Dean, College of Health Sciences, University of Texas at El Paso, 2009-2012.
- Co-Director, U.S.-Mexico Partnership for the Prevention, Diagnosis, & Control of TB & Related Infectious Diseases: Student Training, Research and Community Outreach Program. 2005-2008
- Fulbright Visiting Professor, Department of Public Health, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Universidad Autonoma de Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, 2004-2005.
- Assistant Professor of Community and International Nutrition, Department of Human Nutrition, Foods and Exercise, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, 1999-2002.
- Professor & Program Director, Graduate and Undergraduate Human Nutrition Programs, College of Medicine, Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador, 1997-1999.
- Environmental and occupational epidemiology
- Global environmental health
- Household food insecurity: impact on diet, nutrition, health, and development
- Air pollution and cardiorespiratory health of women and children
- Infectious disease epidemiology, prevention, and control especially TB, leishmaniasis and intestinal infections
Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Racines M, Cevallos W, Castro NP. Association of household food insecurity with the mental and physical health of low-income urban Ecuadorian women with children. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2016, Article ID 5256084; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/5256084.
Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Racines M, Cevallos W. Food insecurity is associated with undernutrition but not overnutrition in Ecuadorian women from low-income urban neighborhoods. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2016, Article ID 8149459; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2016/8149459.
Raysoni AU, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Montoya T, Eschanique P, Racines M, Li W-W. Assessment of indoor and outdoor PM species at schools and residences in a high-altitude Ecuadorian urban center. Environmental Pollution 214: 668-679, 2016.
Kipp E, Mariscal J, Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Waldrup K. Genetic evidence of enzootic leishmaniasis in a stray canine and Texas mouse from sites in west and central Texas. Memorias do Instituto de Oswaldo Cruz, 111(10):652-654, 2016. doi: 10.1590/0074-0260160225.
Armijos RX, Weigel MM, Myers OB, Li WW, Racines M, Berwick M. Residential exposure to urban traffic is associated with increased carotid intima-media thickness in children. Journal of Environmental Public Health Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 713540; http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/713540
Weigel MM, Armijos MM. Food insufficiency in the households of reproductive-age Ecuadorian women: association with food and nutrition indicators. Ecology of Food and Nutrition. 54(1):20-42, 2015
Weigel MM, Armijos RX, Beltran O. Musculoskeletal injury, functional disability, and health-related quality of life in aging Mexican immigrant farmworkers. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 16(5):904-13, 2014.
Weigel MM, Caiza ME. Ethnic/racial disparities in the fetal growth outcomes of Ecuadorian newborns. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 15(1):198-206, 2013.
Weigel MM, Armijos RX. Exploratory study of the occupational health and health-seeking of migrant and seasonal farmworkers on the U.S.-Mexico border. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2012; 14(4):648-56.
Weigel MM, Coe K, Castro NP, Caiza ME, Tello N, Reyes M. Food aversions and cravings during early pregnancy: association with nausea and vomiting. Ecology of Food and Nutrition, 50(3):197-214, 2011.