Sarah J. Young
Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
- Indiana University, Ph.D., 1998
- Indiana University, M.S., 1986
- Illinois State University, B.S., 1982
- M411-R434 Legal Issues in Sport Setting
- R414 Legal Aspects of Recreation
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA). Youth Enrichment through Sport (YES) Ghana. Role: Primary-investigator. September, 2013 – October, 2015
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Academy of Leisure Sciences, 2015
- Career Teaching Award, School of Public Health, Indiana University, 2013.
- Research Fellow, Sport & Recreation Law Association, 2013.
- Assistant Professor, Leisure Studies Program, Department of Tourism and Convention Administration, William F. Harrah College of Hotel Administration, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 1998-2002
- Legal issues in recreation and sport settings related to risk management, program development, and participant conduct
- Physical activity motivational readiness among community college students
- Youth sports and community health issues
- Legal implications of over-exercise and eating disorders for campus recreational sport programs
Selected PublicationsKeiper, M. C., Young, S. J., Fried, G., & Seidler, T. (2014). The legal implications of obstacle racing and suggested risk management strategies. Journal of Legal Aspects of Sport, 24(2), 78-95.
Kroth, A. M., & Young, S. J (2014). New professionals, new desires: What Millennials want in their work. Recreational Sport Journal, 38(1), 23-32.
Young, S. J., Keiper, M. C., Fried, G., Seidler, T., & Eickhoff-Shemek, J. M. (2014). A muddied industry: Growth, injuries, & legal issues associated with mud runs "Part I. ACSM" Health and Fitness Journal, 18(3), 31-34.
Ross, C. M., Young, S. J., Sturts, J. R., & Kim, K. T. (2014). Personal correlates impacting job satisfaction among campus recreational sport employees. International Journal of Sport Management, Recreation & Tourism, 14(d), 68-96.
Young, S. J., Ross, C. M, Kim, K., & Sturts, J. R. (2013). Engaging youth in physical activity: Indicators of a physically active friendly community. Child Indicator Research, 6(2), 1-17, DOI: 10.1007/s12187-013-9199-1.
Ross, C. M., Young, S. J., Sturts, J. R., & Franzidis, A. F. (2013). A Delphi study identifying indicators and criteria for physically active communities for youth 10-14 years old. LARNet: The Cyber Journal of Applied Leisure and Recreation Research, 16(1), 1-11.
Young, S. J., Sturts, J. R., Ross, C. M, & Kim, K. T. (2013). Generational differences and job satisfaction in leisure services. Managing Leisure, 1, 1-19.
Ross, C. M, Young, S. J., Sturts, J. R., & Kim, K. T. (2012). Factors affecting job satisfaction of public park and recreation employees. Applied Recreational Research and Programming Annual, 2, 1-31.
Kroth, A. M. & Young, S. J. (2012, November/December). Banned from the pool: Due process and public places. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation & Dance, 83(9), 6-7.